The year is 2015, and now, more than ever, we turn to social media to unveil our darkest emotions, our sharp wit, and our longing for relevance in an increasingly impersonal world. (We also turn to social media to look at cute puppy pictures and to cyber-stalk our friends from high school.) Of course, the more we share on social media, the more predictable our posts have become.
A few years ago, I wrote about my Facebook newsfeed and the most common posts I see there. While my 600+ Facebook friends and I are all unique, our Facebook statuses (filled with misattributed quotes, thinly veiled song lyrics and terribly misguided political opinions) are anything but. As Twitter has grown in popularity, it has suffered the same fate.
This is what my Twitter home page looks like, in a nutshell, based on the accounts that I follow (or – in some cases – have unfollowed). :) Feel free to add your own favorite commonly viewed tweets to the comments section below.
- Thoughtful comment about industry specific topic. @Publication http://LinkToRelevantContent.bit.ly/ #IUseTwitterProperly
- Snarky observation about a casual acquaintance at the same social event I’m at. #SoMuchSnark
- Depressing yet slightly cryptic tweet about an ex who hopefully doesn’t read my Twitter. #ActuallyIHopeHeDoes #InsideJokeOnlyWeKnew
- Photo of animals doing adorable things or being unlikely best friends, captioned with something clever and equally cute.
- I checked in at @TrendyBar! http://MyLifeIsCoolerThanYours.bit.ly/
- Funny tweet that lightly touches on a sensitive news story and gets 5K retweets. #OhToBePopular
- Ultra-personal tweet about an area of my life that only my significant other or close friends would know. #TMI #WhoReadsThis
- Summary of every photo I have ever posted on Instagram. #ReallyIDontPostAnythingElse
- Headline: “Controversial Social Topic and Why We Need to Talk About It.” http://SocialCommentary.bit.ly/
- My @TrendyBrand goodies arrived in the mail today and I’m obsessed! #PlzReadThis #SendMeFreeStuff
Anything I’m missing? Add your own favorites to the comments section below!